Thank you very much for these detailed instructions for you marten boxes. I've used boxes designed by Wayne Sharpe on horizontal poles, but found that I catch an unacceptable number of birds (mainly Gray Jays and Stellers Jays) also, sometimes a Marten is killed instantly and does not swing clear of the pole (making it vulnerable to damage by shrews and flying squirrels). I also used some of Gordon Colebank's vertical Maren boxes with good results, but they're contructed out of plywood and are quickly destroyed by Squirrels. I've been toying with the ideal of designing a vertical box built out of 1 " lumber but you have addressed everything I could possibly want with your design. I particularly like the bait "basket" and the removable top.
Thanks again Bryan, you are truly a mentor for modern, efficient trapping! Tom S
Note from Vikki Tom sent two great pictures but I don't know how to transfer them onto the blog.
No trapper like to catch birds....
ReplyDelete