Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vertical Marten Boxes

 Like many trappers I have converted to Vertical Marten boxes.  There are quite a few advantages.  The Marten never gets frozen in a box, no bait is robbed and most importantly no birds in trap.  The Marten seem to find it easier also,  and it is very quick to set up and take down, no horizontal pole to put up, also seems to catch a few larger predators like Lynx, Fox and Weasel.  I hang about 5 feet just below a good limb to tie off trap to.  The scent bob hangs off front of lid under overhang. (I cut front feet off Marten before I skin it with a garden sheer.  Put a piece of wire on these feet and you have the best scent bob I have run across.  You can take it off the nail and put foot into scent jar many times and not get it all over your mitts.)

 The box is alittle more work, but time saving and efficient in the bush.  Just one thing.  Don't hang on a Balsam with real smooth bark or the Marten can't climb up.  Lean a climbing pole if that is the case.
I use unplained rough lumber 3/4" thick and 8' long made with my Alaskan Mill but you could use your chainsaw to make the boards.  I have
Belisle traps  with will fit in a box 6" wide and 6 1/2" high inside dimensions but no smaller.Some of my vertical box's are 6 1/2" wide and 7" high because I have Sauvage mags as well as LDL and Belisle and they all fit.  Box is 12" to 14" long.
There is a small mesh wire screen at about 5" down box to hold bait in.  There is a removable lid on this box for easy access.  Trap is held in place by two small nails.  (Vikki will find out the exact size) and she will also post pics of box apart)




This set shows a Marten snare on the top branch.  
Another hint.... we use dog leash tags to attach our trap cable to a top branch instead of using wire.  When you are taking down a trap in cold weather it is so much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.