Friday, December 7, 2012

Auxiliary Oilers for Alaskan Mills

Andrew sent this question.  "Give me your thoughts on auxiliary oilers on Alaskan Mill.  Are they a must or only if you are doing wide cuts?"
I have never experienced any more than a 28" bar on a Alaskan Mill.  I use a 395 Huski, it's a modern saw with an adjustable oiler.  I turn the oiler wide open and found it to be more than enough oil.  BUT BUT!!!! I keep my saw sharp, sharp, sharp.
If I have to push hard on the mill I stop and sharpen.
My thought on those auxiliary oilers.... I see no point in them.  If your chainsaw is so hot you can't touch it...you should sharpen more.   Typically I would process 2 12 foot logs into lumber with one sharpening.  One or two light strokes in each tooth with the guide.  SHARP IS THE WORD ON ALASKAN MILLS.  # 2 MAKE SURE THR BAR IS UNDER NO TENSION FROM THE MILL.
More oil may be just fixing the symptoms and not the cause.  It should use almost the tank full of oil for a tank of gas.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm very eager to start milling but I fear a big snowfall still might be in the works so I have to hold off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan, I've got an Alaskan mill as well. Although I haven't used it much lately, I have plans for it in the future. Granberg Intl says a "ripping chain" is necessary for use with their mill. I've only used the standard cross cut chain when milling lumber. Although you may have mentioned it somewhere on your blog before, what type chain do you use? Love the Happy Trappers lifestyle, thanx ! - Aaron

      Delete
  2. You should buy the right chain. Get a Skip Tooth Chipper also called a Ripping Chain. Sharpen at 10 degrees.
    A Standard Cross Cut chain will be slow and do a poor job.

    ReplyDelete

GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.