Friday, December 7, 2012

Boarding The Fisher



I mark the board with pencil to outline the belly board so that I can nail away from there.  Because the Fisher hide is tough I am using small nails instead of tacks.

The belly board must be about 1 1/2" thick at base.
I have made up these cardboard pieces to help in the tail flattening.
First I use the folder piece.  I start with the tip at the base of the tail and slowly move it along making sure the fur is out of the flesh.
Then I flatten down that folded piece and put the other one on top.
Take notice of the nail placement.
Note..... folded piece must be about 1 " longer that second part so that it sticks out and you have a place to hold on to and put the folded piece out.

Then I put in 5 tacks and lightly nail them.
I cut out small leg cardboards that I use over and over again. 
I also place a piece of cardboard to hold legs up.
Make sure to check for any folds in the armholes.  If there are folds the hide can go sour there and the fur will slip when tanned.


TURNING  THE FISHER  ...   depends on conditions and if you can get it well fleshed it should be ready to turn in 8 hours.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice work! I've yet to encounter a fisher here. Are they somewhat rare or just very secretive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that the taxidermy market is "flat" now; that fine specimen of a buck fisher would have made a beautiful full mount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan would have done it up for taxidermy but too many things need his attention right now.

    ReplyDelete

GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.