Rough sketches made this morning during coffee.
With body grip type traps, trigger positioning is ALL IMPORTANT. The only time you would put the trigger off to one side and parallel is with a Vertical box (which we prefer).
With a V in the center ....it results in a lot of head neck catches. These Marten can take a long time to die, also a bigger animal such as a Fisher may not get it's head in far enough and escape wounded. (this is with 120 magnums).
When a trap is only 5 " diameter the reach is only 2 1/2" so you prefer your animal further in. The point with body grips is to get the animal in the proper position before the trap goes off.
In my vertical sets, the Marten or the Shrews can not get at my bait. The bait is suspended on a 1/4" screen shelf 4 to 5" above the coniber or trap. This puts the Marten in the perfect strike zone, resulting in neck chest grips. I have watched 2 Marten enter my sets. Both expired quicker than I could walk over the 30'.
When they get up and their head stops against the screen their right foot steps on the trigger. Another Point.... The first thing I do is take off all of the trap fasheners... whether chains or cables and redo them... it doesn't matter which side you pick.... I pick the left for my trap fasheners with the trigger at the back - (so it is the highest point). When you make a set it is always the same and they are all the same length so when you switch out a frozen Marten the next trap is easy to install. AND NEVER TIE IT TO THE BOX. YOU'LL END UP WITH A WOLVERINE OR FOX TAKING THE BOX OFF INTO THE BUSH. We use small dog leash clasps but you can make your own Quick Fasteners of Marten trapping. Use #9 Wire and 1/8" or 3/32" ferrules. The toggle is made from # 9 wire twisted. Bryan said he will make one up so that Vikki can take some pictures.
Learn something new on your blog all the time! Now, what's the trigger set-up for horizontal box's is it the typical /\?
ReplyDeleteWhen ever I have set vertical boxes I have always used a V shaped trigger in the centre of the trap, but I bend the triger further in to the box so that the Marten gets further into the trap. Now I will give your way a try.
ReplyDeleteThank's
Steve has described exactly how Bryan does it also.
ReplyDelete